Sunday, July 07, 2013

Left Behind

Last week, while walking to the bus stop,
I found objects that were left behind.

Somewhere in the ten mile zone around Beverly Hills,
a woman left her boot near a bench.
Wait, hang on, that's sexist.
That could totally be some manly-man's boot.

~

And then again,
someone left their neatly hung shirt
on a chain-link fence on Robertson Boulevard.
A button-down shirt hanging outside a Jewish temple.
The sleeves were rolled up a bit.
(My kinda style.)

~

Pico Boulevard. Here we have a spiffy pair of leathern shoes.
What happened to the man
(or woman)
who wore these shoes?
They could be walking down Pico shoeless right now.
Maybe they got new shoes, but why leave behind
your sweet-ass clodhoppers?
(No, they didn't fit me.)


But why,
I asked myself, 
has everyone left behind their clothes?

 
And then I figured it out.
 It was because that day was July Fifth,
 which is the day after Independence Day,
 a day when people notoriously get drunk.


Draw your own conclusions.

No comments: