Thursday, August 01, 2013

Sam and Elmer

Saw these skaters doing 360 kickflips
in a parking lot near Venice and Motor.

 

After getting their names, I attempted to get some more footage: unfortunately, the battery in my shitty mobile phone decided to die on me. (I swear I'm going to throw it into a blazing fire someday).

Sam and Elmer rocked! These guys could execute their moves almost seamlessly. In one crucial moment however, Sam happened to lose his footing, rocketing his board out into the street. A lady ran over it with her car with a raucous crunching sound. God was she pissed off!

"You shouldn't be skateboarding in the street!" she said.

"Sorry," he said, humbly.

"It looks like it got caught in your exhaust," a random passerby added. 

"Do you think I could try and get it?" Sam said to the driver. She just shrugged her shoulders at him, acquiescent. She seemed to be a little too concerned for her car; less so for Sam's well-being. 

Sam leapt under the car and grabbed the board. After he returned to the sidewalk the irate woman sped off in a huff. I watched Sam examine the board for a moment.

"It looks pretty good," I said. "Any damage?"

"Nope - I think it's good!" He was relieved.

Sam rode his board over to where Elmer had been doing more kickflips. Back to the rigors of skating, where practice makes perfect.


~


Draw your own conclusion.

No comments: