Tuesday, June 11, 2013

I ❤ Female Protagonists

And I loathe misogyny. After I read a tweet from an old UCLA colleague (), I discovered a Tumblr outlining a brave woman's Twitter comment regarding the presentation of the Xbox One at E3 (). She chides the creators for failing to develop EVEN ONE GAME with a female protagonist.

A series of dreadfully awful responses follow her tweet.

Before you draw any conclusions, click the link below and read.

I, for one, am tired of the hack-and-slash shoot-em-up, where the roided-out silent-type smashes his souped-up racecar (or spaceship) into the enemy phallus-castle, claiming his revenge whilst freeing the helpless female from the clutches of the evil alien/robot/dragon (who also happens to be male). Bo-ring!

I love female protagonists - and we are a starved audience. Stories from a female perspective shatter the boundaries of our male-dominated world. And that's all I gotta say about that.

Read it for yourself - and get mad as hell!

http://femfreq.tumblr.com/post/52673540142/twitter-vs-female-protagonists-in-video-games

Then, draw your own conclusions.

No comments: