Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Let's go to the library!

Lately, I've been experiencing a bit of ennui: I want to have a career that both utilizes my skills and fulfills my creative needs. Yesterday I had a phone meeting with a career counselor in order to find what sort of business I ought to occupy. I found the advisor, Janet, to be initially very helpful in guiding me in the right direction. In her consultation, she outlined a few possibilities, and she explained exactly how she would aid me in discovering the perfect business to pursue. She made it clear that a career guide doesn't really "do the work," she just guides and advises. In our first meeting, we would sit down and discuss the various possibilities for my career arc, based upon my desires and frustrations. After such a discussion, we would develop a "career map" that would keep me on track for the day-to-day. I can tell you that, for a free meeting, I was very pleased with what I had learned and I now feel ready to formulate the perfect job for myself.

Then she told me about the fee for each session. As a UCLA student, she offered me a 25% discount from her regular rate, which brought the total for a single session to $112. That's just a single meeting, which is only one hour. And she's not "doing the work" either.

For a hundred-and-twelve bucks that career map better have a big "X" depicting where the treasure is buried. It had better be penned by a medieval scribe and printed in illuminated text upon parchment paper in golden ink, because there's no way I'm gonna shell out that kinda dough. Thanks for the meeting though, Janet, and for sending me in the right direction.

Brought to you (free!) by your local library, which probably retains every resource Janet does.

Draw your own conclusions.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you are a clever, frugal skeptic, Mr. Observer, and I like it! keep searching for that X--you will find it. :)